Thursday, December 27, 2007

More Movies!

National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets
What I thought it was about: Terrible actor leaps to rediculous conclusions and finds a book of secrets to somehow clear his family's name. Again.
What hollywood says it's about: Treasure hunter Benjamin Franklin Gates looks to discover the truth behind the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, by uncovering the mystery within the 18 pages missing from assassin John Wilkes Booth's diary.
After seeing it, what it's really about: Terrible actor leaps to rediculous conclusions and finds a book of secrets to somehow clear his family's name. Again.
Critics gave it: C +
Yahoo Users gave it a B.
Yours truly gave it....a D. It's always bad when you are EXPECTING cheese, and you still aren't impressed. Nick Cage is STILL a terrible actor and I didn't even feel like I learned anything about history.

Waitress (DVD)
What I thought it was about: I was honeslty thinking it would be some cutsy romantic comedy, but I had been tipped off that the ending was not some glorious hollywood ending.
What hollywood says it's about: As a favorite waitress at Joe's Diner, Jenna is also a "pie genius," naming her tantalizing confections after the tumultuous events and emotions of her daily life. She's hoping that one of her pastries, like her "Kick In The Pants" Pie, might even change her life--if she can just win that $25,000 pie contest. But when Jenna discovers that she's pregnant, she immediately bakes an "I Don't Want Earl's Baby" Pie--a quiche of egg and cheese with a smoked ham center. After all, her husband Earl is a jealous jerk that is essentially a child himself, and the last thing they need to do is start a family together. But the pregnancy eventually changes the course of events in her life, giving her an unexpected and newfound confidence via letters to her unborn baby.
After seeing it, what it's really about: That girls trapped in terrible marriages DO sometimes have more strength than there are typically given credit for.
Critics gave it: B +
Yahoo Users gave it a B.
Yours truly gave it....a A-. I was entertained the whole time, and although I think it's trampy (spoiler alert) to sleep with you OB while you are preggo with your husband's kid, I'm glad that this movie didn't end with the obvious hollywood ending. It made the movie.

Juno
What I thought it was about: 16 year old girl gets knocked up and spends her days at the gas station with Dwight K. Schrute ala Clerks. And whines about how hard her life is and how much her life sucks.
What hollywood says it's about: Juno is a whip-smart teen confronting an unplanned pregnancy by her classmate Bleeker. With the help of her hot best friend Leah, Juno finds her unborn child a "perfect" set of parents: an affluent suburban couple, Mark and Vanessa, longing to adopt. Luckily, Juno has the total support of her parents as she faces some tough decisions, flirts with adulthood and ultimately figures out where she belongs.
After seeing it, what it's really about: Realist 16 year old with a dry sense of humor and fierce determination carries 2 hours with of movie like she has been doing it for years. Totally believeable acting from all involved, including Mrs. Affleck. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll want to see it a thousand times.
Critics gave it: A-
Yahoo Users gave it a B+.
Yours truly gave it....a A+++.
This is probably one of the best movies I have seen in a LONG time. GO SEE IT. That's all I have to say. It was freaking hilarious, with KILLER one liners that can be used over and over again. It was smart and applied to real life in so many ways. Oh and she didn't complain at all. And her parents were awesome. So my initial thoughts were garbage. Go see it. For real.

I also watched the 5th HArry Potter (finally) but I probalby don't need to go into details on that. Just know that I was bored to tears, and remember why I put off watching it for so long.

Hope you all had a good holiday weekend, and accomplished more than watching 4 movies like I did. :o)

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I knew we were friends for a reason. I watched Waitress on the airplane and really loved it, and I have been DYING to see Juno. I am going to forward your blog to Rian so he understands why I want to see it so much.

Danielle said...

movies...what are those????
I thought those were the things you put in the DVD player to get some peace and quiet for awhile????

LOL..thanks for the updates..now I know where not to watse my time ifthe occasion ever arrises for me to get out.